Monday 23 July 2007

Today I drank Bavaria

I won't pretend it didn't happen. There were reasons why, but after years of saying nasty things about their beers today I drank Bavaria. Voluntarily. Several glasses.

(In case you're confused, I mean the Dutch brewery based in Lieshout, not the German state Bayern.)

The sacrifices I make for my kids. Drinking Bavaria is one of the greatest I can imagine. I just hope the little git appreciated my pain while he was stuffing chips down his neck.

Holland isn't that bad. You would be surpised how often unlikely places like museum cafeterias or railway station buffets have something decent. I'm rarely forced to drink low-qulaity Pils. Even when out with the kids. Melkhuis (with a large playground attached) in Vondel Park sells Westmalle, Duvel and Guinness Special Export. Maybe I'm just lucky to live in Amsterdam.

Stout
I had planned one of my classic Porter/Stout rants for today. But I was out longer with Lexie drinking Bavaria (me drinking, not Lexie, I mean) than I had imagined. Nothing's better than pointing out how misguided eveyone is but me. I'd been looking forward to it for weeks.

I won't be a hyocrite. Without the relevant numbers to back me up, I'll keep stum. They should be done tomorrow. I have some great points about London Stout, Guinness and Milk Stout. It'll blow your socks off. If you're wearing nitroglycerine socks. Otherwise you may be lightly amused or slightly intrigued. That'll do.

German beer classifications
Discussions of beer styles are guaranteed to set my temples throbbing. Below are suggested rules from German brewers for naming beers, as cited in "Almanach für das deutsche Brauwesen 1957" pages 73 and 74.

As a trotskyist when it comes to beer classifications (permanent revolution), I welcome the forbidding the use of Doppel, except in Doppelbock. Nowadays they would need to outlaw Imperial, too.



The rule stipulating that beer brewed in Germany can't be labelled to imply it was brewed abroad is a good one as well. As is that against the misuse of geographical names.

I don't think the German government ever accepted the proposals. A pity. They look pretty reasonable to me. Perhaps they should stipulate Märzen be amber. I might add that.

What do you reckon the impact of similar rules on American brewers would be? Budweiser would be out for a start. As would anything with a name starting with Belgian, British or Bohemian.

3 comments:

The Beer Nut said...

Australia has a geographical indication law which very nearly meant the banning of that Dutch lager you prize so highly.

Ron Pattinson said...

How did I miss that? I should have noticed the obvious link between the two halves of my post.

Does the Australian rule limit the production of Vic Bitter to Victoria?

The Beer Nut said...

Only if someone decides that there's something intrinsically Victorian about Victoria Bitter. Personally I don't think there's anything intrinsically anything about VB...