Saturday 6 October 2007

A success

Yesterday's post was a great success. I had Garrett Oliver calling my ideas rubbish. I'm moving up in the world. It used to just be my kids and drunks on the street that insulted me. Don't shoot the messenger is what I say.

Now we're on the topic of style evolution, you know that old one about London Porter dying out in WW I because the government wouldn't let them make dark malts? Well . . . . I had a good look at the Whitbread Porter logs for 1914 to 1919 last time I was at the London Metroploitan Archive. OK, I didn't really look at them there, I just photographed them. Guess what I found? It was quite a surprise, I can tell you.

In 1914 Whitbread Porter . . . . . damn. It's time to go to Centraal Station to catch the train to Cologne. My tale will have to wait until tomorrow.

8 comments:

Kieran Haslett-Moore said...

Garret Oliver is out of line dismissing your findings as rubbish out of hand. This from a man who thinks every beer on earth goes with fried chicken and burgers.

Stan Hieronymus said...

I had Garrett Oliver calling my ideas rubbish.

I think we need details.

GenX at 40 said...

Stan, I have summarized and opined here: http://beerblog.genx40.com/archives/2007/october/stonchron

Gee, I feel like Jay must: http://www.brookstonbeerbulletin.com/the-blogging-debate/]

Alan
AGBB

Anonymous said...

Ron,

This is great. Some of these Yanks are so up themselves it beggars belief . Your well researched an conclusive debunking of so many preconceieved ideas is a real eye opener. Can't wait for the next instalment.

Ron Pattinson said...

genx, that's an excellent description of the argument. You can spot the lawyer in you.

Garrett has emailed me and aplogised for only having skipped through my article initially.

John, Porter in WW I is my next topic. Whitbread's brewing logs certainly don't agree with the usual theory of Porter's decline.

GenX at 40 said...

That is good to hear. Garrett comes across so, well - to pick old fashion concepts, gentlemanly and honest in his interests in all things beer I was sure it was stronger than he meant to be.

Again I say I say: try to figure out an indexing system for these brewing log posts and tables as you go along and the quality of your research content will not only speak for itself but be a resource we are all going to lean on in the future.

Alan
A Good Beer Blog

Ron Pattinson said...

Ah well, I have everything referenced away for myself. I do try to to tag everything relevant in my posts.

There's so much more of this stuff. So much more. It scares me sometimes.

Stonch said...

It's good to hear Garrett emailed you and apologised.

It's good that he's willing to engage in discussions. We just need to step things up a level now, which is what Ron is doing.