Tuesday 6 November 2007

Polls

The votes are now in for the most thrilling polls since the referendum on American independence. Wait a second, they didn't actually vote on that one, did they? . . . Since Lady Di was elected princess. That's wrong, too. (My son Alexie asked me last week how he could be elected king of Europe. I told him becoming a Stalin was the best a pleb like him could hope for.) Since Hollyoaks was voted Best Chester-based Soap Opera. Dead exciting.

First down, the what you like reading in my blog. I expected "nothing" to feature more prominently. Remember, this poll was for entertainment only. These are the full results:

What do you enjoy reading in my blog?
statistics 9 (27%)
numbers 4 (12%)
beers from the logs 13 (39%)
crap jokes 6 (18%)
clumsy attacks on the bjcp 15 (45%)
reports of me pub-crawling with my kids 17 (51%)
nothing 1 (3%)
about yourself 2 (6%)

I'm disappointed so few of you like my jokes. To win you over, I'll be posting lots more. You'll grow to love them.

Mike will be delighted with the winner. He loves me taking the kids along. "If you have to." "Not again!" Don't worry Mike, the boys will be on every future trip.

I need no encouragement (and little excuse) to attack the bjcp. Mandate accepted.


How many entries should my list have? (explanation of the question)
3 3 (14%)
17 3 (14%)
19 7 (33%)
37 2 (9%)
53 6 (28%)

A late run for 19 robbed longtime leader 53 of victory just minutes before the poll closed. What a shame. I only have to use 19 of your suggestions.

These were submitted:

Brettanomyces: The Musical
It Was Like That When I Found It
Backpedalling
Floaters (The Good Kind)
Floaters (The Bad Kind)
Debbie Does Den Haag

A Day Without Details.
Average Maltsack Corn Counts, 1857-1913.
Going to America.
Double IPA: say it one last time.

Alternative grains
Why Grimbergen blonde is a good beer
Oettinger
out of the can
warm piss

Base malts now and then
The Reinheitsgebot is a joke
Things I like about the BJCP style guidelines
Parenting tips for beer obsessives
Belgian Brewing Logs, pre & post WWI

Fruit and vegs that should not be used in beer
Beer ads 1910-1920
Bubbles in my Beer

Ron's Favorite Crap Jokes (continuing series)
Dutch Bar Snacks (the "bitterballs" question)
Dutch v. Belgian Oud Brun
How To Shop For Beer In Holland
Archeological Evidence of Long Term Beer Aging Pre-1850

That's 28 in total. Nine too many. Any ideas for elimination criteria?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your kids -- medium-rare preferably.

Stonch said...

You secretly like Hollyoaks, don't you Ron. Don't worry, all blokes do.

Roxanne McKee is my favourite. Terrible actress, though.

Ron Pattinson said...

I just wanted to get Lady Di, Stalin and Hollyoaks into the same paragraph. I can't watch Hollyoaks any more since they changed the theme tune.

Stonch said...

I think the new opening sequence is too sexualised even for a programme like Hollyoaks but the music has improved.

I wonder if there's a term in the actresses' employment contracts that says they have to appear in a glamour shoot for a lads' mag within x number of months of joining the cast?

Stonch said...

I think the new opening sequence is too sexualised even for a programme like Hollyoaks but the music has improved.

I wonder if there's a term in the actresses' employment contracts that says they have to appear in a glamour shoot for a lads' mag within x number of months of joining the cast?

Ron Pattinson said...

I never watch the programme itself. I usually rush to change channels before the opening credits have finished.