Monday 2 June 2008

European Championship

I hope Germany wins. Andrew, too. Why? He's got a German passport. That makes him officially German. Oh, you meant why am I supporting the Germans? Because it's the best way of simultaneously pissing off the English and the Dutch.

German football is under-appreciated much in the same way as German beer. It's not exotic enough to excite, nor quirky enough to charm. But that's missing the point. Reliable, consistent, competent. Not adjectives that set the heart racing. Except for mine.

Not that I'll be cheering on the Germans down the pub. I saw the reaction last time. I was with a group of Australians watching Germany vs Argentina during the last World Cup. We were in a fairly working-class pub opposite Het Ij brewery. The Australians had been in Germany to see Australia play. The locals had been very friendly and left a good impression. So when Germany scored, they all cheered. That was when everyone else in the pub turned around and gave them a look. A "Why the feck are you cheering for the bloody Germans?" look. I don't think I'll risk it by myself.

5 comments:

Andy Holmes said...

I'll be cheering for Russia, which I suppose is understandable as everyone else in my household has a Russian Passport.

Anonymous said...

me too. german football is vastly underrated. i've had many a fine weekend based in dusseldorf for the alt and a friday and saturday night in the altstadt, with saturday afternoon spent at monchengladbach or dortmuncd for some bundesliga. and you can drink in the stands. never made it to see fortuna though, they play on sundays and a long lunch in im fuchsen always seemed a better bet

Boak said...

I'm supporting Germany - I went to the last world cup and was bowled over by the enthusiasm and passion there, plus the football wasn't as uninteresting as you suggest...

Also I'm going to be in Germany for most of the tournament so it's the easiest option!

If not them, then Spain. Like England, chronic underachievers.

Tandleman said...

Germany for me too. My guilty secret (well this week's) is that I have just sent off for a 1954 style German I shirt from the DFB(Deutscher Fussball Bund)

Ron Pattinson said...

I'm truly shocked at the love for German football. Clearly all the media brainwashing about Germany isn't working.

Andy, the same is true for me - the rest of my household have German passports.

Boak, the Bundesliga is the best supported in the world. For no particular reason (maybe because they haven't won anything for years) my German team is Schalke.

Tandleman, those shirts are pretty groovy. I must dig out my DDR replica shirt.