Wednesday 11 June 2008

Gravity Tables - Lager

I was surprised to discover at least one fan of my tables of beer gravities. I don't know why I was so shocked. I could stare at them for hours. Quite often, I do.

Just a small one this time. German Bocks from the early 1950's. These are probably some of the first strong beers brewed in Germany after WW II. What can I say. The attenuation is higher than in 19th century Doppelbocks.


Hang on. I said this was going to be the Summer of Lager, didn't I? You deserve more than one table. And it's a while since I did any. How about far more tables than you'll be able to absorb in one sitting? Sounds perfect.

Here's some German Pilsners.




1950's Lager

Let's take a look at Lager in various European countries in the 1950's. That should be fun, shouldn't it? At least until I swamp you with numbers.


Belgium
As I can't be bothered to think of a clever way of organiosing them, let's look at the different countries alphbatically. We start with Belgium.


They're all Pilsners, you may have noticed. Nothing particularly unusual about them, either. Except that the Stella Artois bought in Belgium is stronger than the others. The weaker ones may have been bought in Britian, which would explain them being weaker.


Czechoslovakia
Beer from just one Czech brewery, Pilsner Urquell. Only one of them appears to be the classic 12º Ležák. That looks the same as it always does in analyses, from the 19th century up until the present. Though it would be interesting to compare the colour with the modern version.



Denmark
Just beers from Denmark's Big Two, Carlsberg and Tuborg, when they were still separate companies (and still each had a brewery).


From the feeble gravities of just over 1030 of many of the examples, it's clear that both were already brewing versions especially for the UK.


Holland
Again beers from the countries largest brewers - Amstel, Heineken, Oranjeboom and ZHB.


All are under 1040 and presumably brewed for the UK market. In the 1950's Heineken brewed three versions of its Pils: one for the Dutch market, one for the USA and one for the UK. Only the UK Pils was piss-weak.


Norway and Sweden
I was shocked to see three Norwegian breweries represented. But only one Swedish. Can't have everything, I suppose.


Given their strengths, I doubt any of these were intended for the UK market. Note that the Swedish beer is just a shade under the 5.6% ABV maximum which was at that time in force in Sweden.

No comments: