Sunday 1 June 2008

Pie and Peas

My kids are big fans of pies. Proper meat pies. Whenever I go to Britain I pack my bag with pies on the return journey. It must be in the genes. Every couple of weeks I take Lexie to Amsterdam's only fish and chip shop for pie, chips and mushy peas.

During my second year at university I wasn't the most studious of students. My day began at around midday, when I'd drag myself out of bed and walk to the campus. Not that I was going to a lecture. I went straight to the refectory in the Students Union. In the balcony there was a pie and peas bar. That's where we'd all meet to eat, well, pie and peas. Meat and potato pie was my favourite. There's health food for you. Carbohydrate, fat, more carbohydrate and a dash of protein in gristle form.

My days were so full. After eating we'd head for the student bar. By the second year, I'd progressed beyond Sam Smith's Old Brewery Bitter. In 1976 they started having problems with their yeast. After about a year they adopted a totally different strain and their beer never tasted the same again. I think it was probably Tetley Bitter I drank in the Students Union in my second year. I can't remember it selling any other cask beers.

After throwing out time (the pubs shut in the afternoon then) we moved on to the table tennis room. That occupied us until five-ish, when it was time to go home and have tea. I don't know how I found the energy. Each day was a heady whirl of pie, peas, beer and table tennis. It's no wonder I don't have a degree.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And where is Amsterdam's only fish and chip shop??

Anonymous said...

Should have waited until I'd done some googling. Do you mean Al's Plaice?

Ron Pattinson said...

Yep, that's it. Where I get my pie fix.

Anonymous said...

OK, may give it a try next week - maybe that's what we also need in your guide - where we can find good pies in Europe?

Also what constitutes a pie? I sick of going into pubs which brag about their pies but you find they're basically a stew in a dish with a pastry lid.