Wednesday 11 June 2008

The Summer of Lager

Lager lovers lick your lips. 2008 is officially The Summer of Lager. In my head. And that's all that counts.

The first focus falls on decoction mashing. Who hasn't lain awake at night wondering what the temperature of the mash should be after the second Dickmaisch is returned to the tun? I know I have. I'm not that out of step with humanity that I'm the only one, am I?

Misunderstood lager styles. That'll be all of them, then. Märzen, Export, Kellerbier and Dunkles. There's plenty of scope for me to do some metaphorical shouting about those ones. Especially Märzen.

Lager evolution. How lagers have changed over the last 150 years. Salvator (Doppelbock) is a good one. Not even the name has remained the same.

My new Big Idea is to have more posts announcing posts than actual posts. It's going well so far this week. Watch out for my next announcement about more announcements.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to your posts on lagers. I'm sure that a lot of what I've been told about them by US homebrewers isn't accurate and am looking forward to getting more info in proper context. Love the posts about decotion, doppelbocks, etc. Really curious to find out more historical details about Maerzen and Oktoberfest when you get to those. I'd love to see some info on Dortmunders since there's so little info on them.

Thanks for putting things in a cultural/historical context. The beer world needs more of this.