Sunday 10 August 2008

British beer gravities 1805 - 2005

I don't think I've published this table yet. But you know what it's like when you get older. You start to forget things. Like your middle name. (Tarquin, isn't it?) What street you live on. (Stalinlaan, I think. Something to do with a great world leader. I remember that.) That sort of thing.

Warning: these numbers are for amusement purposes only. They haven't been compiled in any wonderfully scientific way. I've just averaged up the entries in my Mega-Gravity Table. So it isn't a real average strength by style, just an approximation based on a number of real examples.


To give you an idea of the accuracy of the number, I've included the average of my numbers and the real average OG of the period (where I had them to hand). You can see that some of mine come out too high, probably dragged up by Stout. It's stronger than the other beers, but was quite a small percentage of total output.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see statistical proof of something I had suspected, that the answer to the question "what's the difference berween porter and stout?" is "Today? none, to speak of ..."

What we want is a Campaign for Real Stout ...