Thursday 7 August 2008

Martyn Cornell's new book

I don't read many newly-published books on beer styles. They aren't good for my blood pressure. "Stop shouting, Ronald." is what Dolores says when I attempt to read one.

For Martyn Cornell, I make an exception. His books are well-researched and well-written. The latest, "Amber, Gold & Black", a comprehensive attempt to trace the origin and development of British styles, is no disappointment.

Each major style gets a chapter to itself. Even lager, which many writers would ignore. Taken as a whole, the book gives an unique insight into the course of British brewing over the last 200 years. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to gain a greater understanding of the history of British beer. Especially as it avoids all the common errors, lazily copied from book to book. Like the origin of Porter or the story behind IPA. Backed by his copious research, Martyn tells a rather different - and more believable - tale than other beer historians.

Now here's the good news. This 200-odd page book is available for just a fiver in pdf form. That's great value. And the money is going directly to the author. Even better news.

Before you ask:
  • I received a copy of the book for free
  • I know Martyn Cornell personally
  • the book makes reference to my research
You decide if I'm shallow and unprinicpled enough to let these facts influence my recommendation. Personally, I think "Amber, Gold & Black" is worth a fiver of anyone's money.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Ron, mate - a bottle of Kalashnikov vodka is on its way to Alexei right now.

Martyn "Zythophile" Cornell