Friday 6 February 2009

I got to a shop!


On my sixth day in the USA, I finally got the chance to visit a shop. My heart is still pounding from the excitement.

Two shops, to tell the truth An A&P supermarket first. I really splashed out. A couple of bananas, two rolls, a piece of Jarlsberg and stainless steel cleaner. The last was at the request of Dolores. It's for cleaning our new kitchen.

Next door to the supermarket there's a liquor store, as I believe they call them here. An offie to me. I didn't let the cases of Bud and Corona in the window put me off. At the back there was a selection of stuff I might actually want to drink. Just one slight snag. Most were in six packs. Not much use to me, with just 48 hours left in the country. I didn't bother looking to closely at them and concentrated on the big bottles. 650 cl. Is that what's called a growler? It's a word that's confused me a deal. Sounds like the name of a cartoon dog.

I got two. I've tried Stone before, so I avoided the Arrogant Bastard. Though it does describe my character to perfection. Brooklyn No. 1 and Southern Tier Imperial Gemini were my choices. I'm halfway through the latter. Here's what I think of it:
Southern Tier Imperial Gemini
Pale amber colour, little head.
Lemon, lime and grapefruit aroma.
Bitter taste with lime and resin aromas.
Bitter finish with wood, resin and citrus aromas.
It's citrusy, that it tastes like shandy with added bitters. A bit one-dimensional , despite the 6 types of hops.

New York tomorrow. I'll be arriving in style, in a chauffeur-driven limo. It's the only way to arrive in New York.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you have there are "bombers", Ron, not growlers. Growlers are half-gallons (U.S. measure).

Growler - originally a container to transport draft beer to the domicile - is an English term originally I understand. Bomber (in this connection) probably is not. :)

I think you are getting closer to the big hop/big taste U.S. style with those two beers.

Enjoy the Big Apple.

Gary

Tim said...

650 cL (22 oz) bottle is a bomber. A growler is a half US gallon jug that is typically used for repeated fills at a brewery for take away.

I've never been too impressed by Southern Tier but the Brooklyn ought to be good. I would recommend anything from Jolly Pumpkin if you can find it.

Bill said...

That bottle is a bomber here in the colonies. A growler is a refillable bottle, typically one half gallon or 2 litres which is filled from the tap at a bar. A growler will last quite a while but once opened needs to be consumed in 48 hours or it will go flat. I've never had that problem.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

22 oz is a Bomber... a Growler is 64 oz. What's a "cl"? (Just kidding)

Zak Avery said...

Blind Tiger!
CHA CHA CHA!
Blind Tiger!
CHA CHA CHA!

Anonymous said...

May I add before some readers weigh in. :) I know growler is considered an American dialect term. But I think it is English in origin or inspiration. Cassell's Dictionary of Slang gives as a first (English) meaning a flask of whisky...

It was used to mean a hansom cab in the U.K., too, which relates less to beer seemingly. However, think of certain terms for a drink that reference a fast transport: like an "Express", "5:15", "Highball", and so forth (it gets you where you want to go fast).

I'll try to find an English reference that relates to beer as such.

By the way, here is a picture of a Gingerman growler:

http://www.gingerman-ny.com/content/view/31/108/

Gary

Alan said...

I hope you enjoy the flag waving children and police officers standing at attention out your window as you drive into the city. I had my first Local 1 a couple of weeks ago and am now a little obsessed. What did you think?

Ron Pattinson said...

Thanks for setting me straight on growlers and bombers. Me stupid foreigner.

Not tried the Local 1 yet. Unfortunately, I only have the one stomach.

I'll accept the adulation of the crowds with magnaminity as I cruise onto Manhattan.

The Blind Tiger is, quite literally, number one on my list of Manhattan boozers. I plan getting there shortly after opening time.

Anonymous said...

Great picture of a growler being 'rushed' somewhere by a child in NYC in the 1890s:
http://www.authentichistory.com/postcivilwar/riis/173.html