Friday 15 May 2009

Books, piping hot books!

A post about books. My books. I had to make it look a bit exciting.

The ISBN number for "Numbers!" arrived this morning. What an efficient bunch they are at the Dutch ISBN office.

I've just sent off the print order. I would use the cover as an illustration, but that would give the game away. For the competition that's gripped you so much there have only been two guesses so far. I know, I'll shout

FIRST CORRECT GUESS OF THE THEME OF "nUMBERS!" WINS A COPY.

Numbered and signed.

"Numbers!" is 284 pages of fun, fun, fun. Fun, fun. Fun.

OK, maybe not "fun" in the conventional enjoyment sense. About a third of the way between fun and tedium. Is there a word for that? Sorry, I got that the wrong way around. A third of the way between tedium and fun. That's what I meant. Tediun. That'll do. 284 pages of tediun. Too good for mere commerce.

The captivating "Brown Beer", however, is available to buy. Not that I would have noticed, seeing how few copies I've shifted. "It's dead good." Andrew said that when I offered him a bag of salt and vinegar crisps. I think it was his opinion of "Brown Beer". "Did you mean Brown Beer, Andrew?" . . . "Yeah". See. Officially "dead good".


Support independent publishing: buy this book on Lulu.


In case you're waiting, thinking, "Will that bastard put out a better edition in two weeks?" The answer is "No" "NO" "NO!". I'm far too busy with "War! 1.2" Editing, I noticed it was like a string vest. Full of holes. I need to torture my eyes looking at low-resolution photos of Barclay Perkins WW I logs. That's a whole load of fudium for me.

Buy "Brown Beer" now. Before I put the price up.

4 comments:

Andrew Elliott said...

Numbers... Perhaps having to do with beer gravities and how they shifted over the course of time, including continental beer as well as beer from the Isles?

Bill said...

Ron, seems you are going for a PHD in British brewing. That is where you know more and more about less and less until you know everything about nothing.

PS- just joking, looking forward to "Numbers" and "War". Your books are great reading and have helped me brew better beer. In the end that is what it is about.

The Beer Nut said...

Is numbers about outputs, capacities, brewery populations: that sort of thing? How the volumes of different styles of beer changed over the years?

I'd have gone for gravity tables if everyone wasn't already crashing and burning with that one...

Ron Pattinson said...

Andrew Elliott, YOU'RE A WINNER. Your guess is just about right.

"Numbers!" is a printed version of my Mega Gravity Table. All the beer details I've collected. It lists more than 7,500 beers. Most are from Britain, but there are continental European entries and a few from the Americas.

You can email me via my website to let me know your addess:

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net