Friday 26 June 2009

Loving learning lager

My lager education continues. I'll be doing a summer school in its appreciation in a few weeks. (Translation: I've five days on the lash in Franconia at Annafest time.)

Mike's months of badgering have finally borne fruit. And I've managed to get the time off work. We'll be in Franconia 30th July to 3rd August. The first two days at the Annafest before heading into the wilds of Fränkische Schweiz. Feel free to come up and force beer on me if you spot me. I can already feel a thirst coming on.

While we're on the subject of lager, I should perhaps mention that's what I've picked as my summer theme. More accurately, it's selected me. I just keep finding myself writing about it. Must be something subliminal. Prepare yourselves for non-stop fun. Lots about Salvator, table after table of 19th-century lager analyses, Franconia travel reports and much, much more.

I hope you're as excited as I am.

4 comments:

Elektrolurch said...

where in the fränkische schweiz will you be, at which breweries?:D
to some places i could easily come by bike. yay.

Joshekg said...

I'm looking forward to it. I spent a month at Uni Erlangen-Nürnberg and enjoyed the Franconian beers. Don't forget to eat the Nürnberger Rostbratwurst.

Mark Andersen said...

Someone mentioned to me recently that Salvator was brewed with a top fermenting yeast. That's sounds bullshit to me but I'm curious to see what you've found.

Ron Pattinson said...

Elektrolurch, we're still in the planning phase and haven't worked out exactly which breweries we'll be visiting.

Mark Andersen, Salvator was bottom-fermented in the 19th century. And I guess for a while before that, too.