Wednesday 10 June 2009

Sickness

It's great being ill. I get to be at home alone. All those things I can't do while the rest of the family is around are suddenly possible.

Number one is listening to music.

"Dad, turn off that crap." "Noooo dad, I don't want to hear this horrible shit." That was when the kids were being reasonable. Mostly they were far less polite.

Music used to rule my life. Like many youngsters, it was my musical taste that defined me and autoselected my friends. The NME was my bible, punk my epiphany, playing my sacrament. How could I have abandoned my religion without a fight?

Being bullied by your kids. There's not much more humbling than that. But it's true. My kids have bullied music out of my life. Surely it should be the other way around.

They're at school today, while an onion-breathed cold ravages my sinuses and stuffs my head. Time for Teenage Fanclub, Fehlfarben, The Faces and The Wedding Present.

Living in the past. It's what I'm all about.


Bonus question: where's the photo from?

8 comments:

Mike said...

When my family are out of the house
I get out the vinyl and play the Clash or Hendrix or The Stones or Bowie or Devo or any one of the dozens of 12inch vinyl records that otherwise gather dust,really loud.

Mike said...

What ails you?

Ron Pattinson said...

Mike, a cold.

jonbrazie said...

Monarchie?

Unknown said...

Artist: Fehlfarben
Album: Monarchie und Alltag

Ron Pattinson said...

That's just about right, Rabbi.

Ron Pattinson said...

Josh, that's perfectly right. I wonder whatever happened to Fehlfarben?

pyrolator said...

Thank for posting our old album. Somebody asked what happened: Well, still alive ! New album in 2010 !
http://myspace.com/fehlfarben