Very friendly and very helpful. The staff at the Scottish Brewing Archive. Made my visit a pleasure.
A quick update for those desperate to know more about Scottish brewing practices. I took 1,140 photos in the archive. Not bragging, just explaining why I haven't looked at most properly. A couple of things I happened to notice:
1. Some Scottish measures were still in use in the early 1800's.
2. Brews were logged a in completely different way.
3. There were some crazy strong beers.
4. Hopping . . . . . Just started looking at that. No conclusions so far. But . . . . . there were some heavily-hopped beers. 1858 Younger's XXPS had more than four pounds a barrel.
5. Some pre-WW I beers were surprisingly weak.
I''ll keep you updated. Those that are still awake.
Throwback Thursday #6 - my favourite pubs, in no order - Every week at 2pm on Thursday I link to a few old posts from this blog's archives from 2007-2009. On May 13th I sent a text to Jack and Eddie - who, togethe...
4 hours ago