Tuesday 22 September 2009

Oktoberfest here I come

The last week has been a hard slog. Hewing posts from the coalface day and night. Night and day. OK, evening and breakfast-time.

"Why so much work?"

Because I love you all and want to share, share, share.

Real reason. I'm going to the Oktoberfest and don't intend being sober enough to post. Or feeling much desire to do so. Post, I mean. I've written enough posts to last well into next week. Enough to cover holiday and hangover.

It's a Bier-Mania! tour*. Four days: Andechs, Ettal, Oberammergau, Munich, Oktoberfest and stomach pump. "Dem Himmel so nah'". How true.



*For which I have paid in full.

6 comments:

MentalDental said...

Oberammergau. Only been there once and thought it was the creepiest place in Europe. Streets of shops full of spooky Catholic icons. I couldn't wait to leave. What's the beer like?

It was a joy to return to Munich to see the locals dressed up in loden coats and lederhosen. And thinking they looked cool! Got to love those Bavarians. A few helles and/or dunkels help.

Joe said...

I'm jealous. Went on Andy's Oktoberfest tour two years ago and had a blast.

Rob Sterowski said...

Lederhosen are cool! I wish I could afford some.

Rod said...

Lederhosen are way cool. The manager of my local in Greenwich has got an "Oktoberfest" on at present, with proper German sausages etc, and ordered some Festbier (Paulaner) from one of his suppliers. I jokingly asked him if I got my first Mass (litre - "stein" if you must) free if I came in lederhosen. He laughingly agreed.
I checked and it was due to be available on draught (keg) last Thursday, so I got home from work and put on all the gear (not just lederhosen - if you're going to do something, do it properly). I arrived at the pub to find that his suppliers had let him down and that the Festbier wasn't yet available. Greenwich drinkers and tourists were therefore treated to the perhaps unexpected sight of a middle-aged man in full Bavarian tracht drinking a pint of Adnams Bitter.

Ron Pattinson said...

Rod, I was sorely tempted to get myself a pair of lederhosen. But how often would I ever wear them? I don't think they'd go down well here in Holland.

rod said...

Well, I wear lederhosen round Greenwich, which took a fair old pasting from the Luftwaffe, and I haven't been lynched yet.
I think you just have to front it out mate.........