Tuesday 3 November 2009

2009 Bokbierfestival - the day after

I thought I'd report back on this year's festival. Without photos*, though, as I forgot my camera.

First thing that became apparent is that every single person I met had been to the Molen festival the night before. The one I hadn't been able to go to. And kept telling how great it had been. Bastards. Though it does look like it will become an annual event. Next year. I'll go next year.

I can't really comment on general beer quality as I was very conservative in my approach. What I mean is, I stuck with beers I could trust. For the most part. Old favourites like SNAB Ijsbock. And reliable things like Jopen Dubbelbok. Both were, as I expected, excellent. As was Keesmann Bock. Then again, you can't go wrong with Franconian beer. Christoffel's Bock wasn't bad, either.

My only duff choice was my very first beer. From Phoenix. It poured a pale amber colour. "Is this a Bock beer?" I asked. "All the beers at the festival are Boks." That wasn't quite an answer to my question. It had a funny sour taste. "Lactic acid infection" the brewer from Marble brewery said after just a sniff. I wasn't going to argue with a professional.

Three. That's how many books I bought. One a brand new history of Van Vollenhoven. Another about gruit and medieval Dutch beer.

I went twice. To the festival. On Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. (Obviously no-one with even a half a brain would go to an evening session.) I must have enjoyed it then, musn't I?

*Of this year's event. I've included a snap from last year.

2 comments:

Dominic, Marble Beers said...

Professional? Idiot more like...The bokbier festival was good, with generally good beer (bier?), in a great venue. However, the De Molen festival was possibly the greatest the world has ever seen. I'll see you there next year!

mentaldemtal said...

Dominic said: "However, the De Molen festival was possibly the greatest the world has ever seen."

Yes, thanks mate. That makes me feel good about not being able to go! :-((

We can discuss it next year!