Thursday 5 November 2009

Yet another book

The books just keep on coming. A parcel of freshly-minted copies of "War!" fell on my doormat yesterday. It's Volume VI of my Mini Book Series.

It may seem odd that "War!" is appearing after Volumes VIII and IX. There's a good reason for that. But It's also a pretty tedious one. I won't bother you with it. As usual, I'll be sending out 9 signed copies to the lucky few.

You must be able to guess what's coming. A competition. With as prize a copy of "War!".

What can I ask you this time? I've used up all the good questions. Well, maybe not good. Not terrible. I've asked you all the not too crap questions I could think of. Ah, I know. This is a good one.

You probably can't remember my Mini Book Series concept. Eleven volumes published throughout 2009. Volumes I - IX have been published. XI minus IX . . . I make that II. Two volumes to go. One of those is just about done. Just one book left to write. I think I know what it will be. But I haven't decided 100%. Which is where the competition comes in.

Suggest a title or theme for volume XI. I don't promise to use it. But I might. More likely, I'll just fiddle with the title. Much less work.

Go on then. Make a suggestion.

5 comments:

The Beer Nut said...

Beer Myths and/or Homebrew Twats.

You could call it Vitriol!

Rod said...

I agree - you should definitely write a book debunking all the standard beer myths. You've done so much of the research already, and it's such an important issue. We can't let the proscriptive style Nazis have their nonsense go unchallenged.
My title suggestion - "Never Mind The Bollocks" (particularly since bollocks isn't a word Americans normally understand :-}

Mike said...

I second the above suggestion.

LuskusDelph said...

I agree a hundedfold...it would certainly turn some long held (and incorrect) notions upside down.
As far as the 'style nazi' thing--it is really getting a bit out of hand. Hearing clueless dorks in my 'local' pontificating about the beer in their hand not being 'to style' used to make me quietly chuckle; now it makes me cringe at the frequency with which it occurs.

Rod said...

I absolutely agree - in my humble opinion, the central problem is a failure to understand that any system of perceived "styles" must derive from the diversity of beers that exist, not the other way around. In other words, styles must reflect what is actually out there, rather than beers being shoehorned into style categories that don't always fit.
If a brewer comes up with a beer that doesn't conveniently fit into the style continuum, then tough shit. Is it a good beer?
What style is Orval?