Thursday 3 December 2009

Drawback

Drawback. That's what the tax refund was called that brewers received when they exported beer. Details of the drawback regulations are in the front of Truman's 1871 Porter brewing log.

Here they are:


I was so pleased to find these. Why? It's a long story. But I've got a few moments, so I'll tell you it anyway. (It's not a particularly interesting story, I'll warn you.)

I've been collecting beer gravities for many years. Until I discovered archives, my collection was rather sparse. Probably not more than 50 in total. That's why I was so pleased to find a reproduction of a Bass pricelist with the drawback given. I realised, because the amount of drawback was based on a beer's gravity, I could work out the OG's of all Bass's beers. Especially as I had the gravity of one of their beers, IPA. 1065.

I didn't, at the time, have the handy chart of drawback and gravity I've reproduced above. Using the IPA gravity of 1065 and the drawback amount, I was able to calculate what the gravity would have been.

Now, armed with the drawback table, I can check my calculations. And, you know what, they aren't bad. Except they're all 5º too high. Any guess why? Alright, I'll tell you. Because, according to the drawback, the IPA was actually 1060 and not 1065.

Here are the correct gravities:


I warned you it was a bit of a dull story. At least it had a happy ending.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And the Bass No 1 "Burton Ale" (aka Bass No 1 barley wine) is STILL 1100, making it another rare entrant in the "unchanged gravity since Victorian times" category.