Thursday 18 March 2010

Once upon a time

It's arrived. Yesterday it came. The box of Pretty Things Once Upon a Time Mild. I'd looked forward to it so much.

It doesn't disappoint. The colour is a beautiful deep copper. And the taste. If I hadn't abandoned beer descriptions, I'd tell you stuff about minty hops, caramel malt and a strong, but in now way overwhelming bitterness. But I'm crap at that sort of thing, so I'll just say that it's like a souped-up Fullers ESB. Or an improved Gold Label. Dead nice and right down my street. Easy Street. Easy to get pissed if you're not careful street.

Only the second Mild post this Mild Month. My apologies. I'll just have to have a second Mild Month in May.

5 comments:

Adrian Tierney-Jones said...

I’m jealous. And I agree that March should be mild, was in my local a couple of hours ago and talking with Will the singing barman about whether he would be getting any more Burton Bridge Mild and then I thought come April the weather is going to be sunny, placid, warm and so much more conducive to some other than mild (for me at least); who on earth came up with May as Mild Month, why not have July as Barley Wine time?

Anonymous said...

You can be sure that once my brewery will be operative, there will be some beers like that. What about a truly vatted stock ale?!

Ron Pattinson said...

ealuscop, now that would be fun. An XXXXK. Something like this beer, but more heavily hopped and left to mature for a year or more.

Oblivious said...

Looks great Ron must try and get my hand on a bottle

Is the beers final gravity true to the recipe or more modern interpretation?

Ron Pattinson said...

Oblivious, as the original log has no FG on it, we can only guess. But other strong Ales they brewed the same year had around 70% apparent attenuation. So I would say the attenuation on the Pretty Things XXXX is about right.