Sunday 4 February 2018

Chicha

I loved my time in Chile last year. Met loads of cool people including Juan Diego Vásquez of Cervecería Barbarian who gave me a bottle of chicha.


Barbarian Chicha Tumare, 6.1% ABV

Pale yeallow. Quite a spicy aroma, like a Weissbier. but slightly tart. No trace of hops.

"That's really sweet. Don't you think that's really sweet. Sort of has a sourness to it, too."

"I think that's sourness, not sweetness."

"How strong is it?" Looks at the label. "6.1%. and 4 IBUs. They should really increase the typeface on this."

Me: "I really hate searching for the ABV and then discovering it's in a tiny font. I don't want to piss around with stuff under 8%."

"What do you think the acidity is from? Acetic acid?"

"No. From lactic acid bacteria."

"I'm more into neutral beer."

"What's the pH . dad?"

"Did you know that Carslberg first developed the pH scale?"

"Yes, dad. You've told me that before. Don't dodge the question."

"No, idea. Not that low. Nowhere near as sour Gose or Berliner Weisse at 3 and a bit."

"That's pretty acidic dad. Not sour. That's a taste thing."

"It is called a sour ale apparently. Sort of makes sense that it's sour."

"You're writing it all down you bastard."

"Obviously. How else could I write a blogpost every day? I need this filler shit."

"Lexxie - say something crazy"

"I don't know. I'm going out."

"You're getting dead boring, Lexxie."


"Are you sure you don't want to try the Chicha, Dolores"

"Urgh. That's horrible."

"Lexxie: "Sour isn't it? And sweet."


4 comments:

Phil said...

Water, malt, maize, quinoa, honey, hops and yeast. And apparently it's their homage to chicha de jora, traditional 'corn beer' (sour, unhopped, 1-3% a.b.v.). Yum.

Brando said...

I wonder, is it a masticated Chicha, or the modern malted version?

Ron Pattinson said...

Brando V,

it's malted, not chewed.

Rob said...

I thought the chewed Chicha was pretty low abv too. Like in the 2% to 3% range.